Thursday, March 11, 2010

...and then God showed up.

Really? Really! Really? (I could go on like this for about an hour) "and THEN God showed up"?

There are just some pieces of the Christian religious vernacular that just drive me to the end of my wits. Like when you give a greeting and say "God Bless." Just what exactly does that mean? Are they just words you put together because you want to show that you are "churchy"
Or, is it shorthand for "I am so glad to see you today, glad that a person like you is in the world, and that I get the opportunity to know you. I pray that our love grows as we walk toward eternity together in Christ, and I pray that God blesses you along the way."
(I can't wait to meet the person who claims their God bless means the latter)

So, with that rant out of the way, let me move to the phrase that begins this post. It is usually used while recalling an experience in a spiritual retreat, or some conference, but even in description of everyday events. While I am not opposed to people realizing the presence of God in their lives, the problem I have with the phrase is (wait for it...) GOD IS ALWAYS HERE! HE NEVER JUST 'SHOWS UP'. It isn't like He is taking care of errands and then realizes He is late for an important prayer meeting and has to fight traffic to get there.
That is what happens when I am on the fence for some social event for the evening. It's like I haven't fully committed, then those at the function are totally surpirsed I made it. Is the faith of some Christians so small that when they intentionally get together to have a spiritual experience they are surprised that God has shown up?

The Bible says that we are to be in constant prayer. That every moment of our life should be spent knowing and connecting with God. That our most intimate and personal moments should be fully revealed to Him. If we are to believe that and obey from our belief, then how can we possibly say that God just transiently shows up?

So, know that's where I come from, and I refuse to load my conversation with empty phrases to let others see that I am religious. I pray that they can see the change God made in me and the love of Christ flow through my actions. I often don't tell others I will keep them in my prayers. I would feel a failure to not take an intentional moment each day to specifically pray for these people. I just find comfort in saying I will keep you in my thoughts. God is always talking to me, and I try to remember to direct my ways to Him. So, He knows my thoughts, and if I am thinking of others with loving intention, He understands my desire for whatever they need.
In these conversations, the one thing I ask for myself is that if I do nothing more in a day, at the very least, I love.

1 comment:

  1. God bless you. Sorry. I had to do it. Couldn't resist. I'm so glad you updated your blog...finally.

    and by God bless, I mean - I thank God for you. This world is a better place because you're in it. My faith has grown because of your influence. I pray for you often.

    ReplyDelete